Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My lovely doula friend Jessica tells me that there has been research that shows that women's IQ's actually go up during pregnancy and that they learn faster than at any other time in their lives.
 I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this hasn't been the case for me.  At least not recently.
Exhibit A: the most unsuitable baby quilt ever:

Yes.  There it is.  Covering my KING sized bed.  Somehow I just didn't see that coming.  Plus, what you may not be able to appreciate from the photo is that I screwed up the batting too.  I really wanted a quilt that would be light but puffy--like a comforter.  They make batting for just this purpose.  It's called 'high-loft' batting and it's polyester and it's both cheap and readily available.  And it only has to be quilted about every 12 inches making it perfect for tying which is what I planned to do.  But I had to have a natural fiber for the batting.  So instead I used to layers of a wool-cotton blend.  Which is the opposite of light and puffy.  It is heavy and dense.  Like so heavy that when I tossed the quilt down the stairs to Al, he staggered backwards.  And it has to be quilted every 2-4 inches.  And it smells like a wet sheep.  

I machine quilted around the log-cabin blocks, and hand-tyed each embroidered square.  But the borders are about 15 inches (and yet I didn't anticipate the finished size being slightly larger than co-sleeper sized, huh) and they do not lie flat at all (guess that's what happens when you decide to be 'spontaneous' and make each square as big as you feel like in the moment, and then pull and wrestle to get the borders to fit around four uneven sides of the quilt).  So I can't figure out whether to attempt to machine quilt the borders or tie them in some way or what.  Plus, let me tell you that wrestling 15-pounds of wet-sheep-smelling quilt through my little sewing machine was... well lets just say it wasn't pretty.  Maybe all the exertion will put me into labor.

No comments: